… Another finished quilt..

Finished Makes

img_20180810_163031.jpg

This I started last summer while pregnant and building work was going on.. as you do when you have no energy and loads to do.

The fabric is a Robert Kaufman range by Carolyn Friedlander – Botanics.  I bought the jelly roll at Sandown when big girl was the age baby is now so – 4 years ago.  The fabrics attracted me because of there slightly architectural look and had a colour gradient!  Diving straight in making up as I went along, I played with mixing the fabrics with unsatisfactory results.  I subsequently grouped the colours in rows of 5 to a gradient.  The grey gradient didn’t really work so I did some un-picking and made the central strip dark and gradient out.  The grey group then evolved into the central section and 2 colour types splitting either side.  Then I decided to add another level and make it a stack/ stitch/ slice and flip quilt with some of the light fabrics from the jelly rolls as sashing.  Left overs from the rolls was mixed bold and light to make the binding.

I managed to finished the top before Christmas and then basted it while 8.5 months pregnant with 2 other projects – It was a good time to be crawling around on the floor!!.  A couple of weeks ago I dragged it out to work on while I struggled with what to do with my big girls quilt.

img_20180810_162739_bokeh.jpg

I made up how I was going to straight line quilt it as I went along.  Echoing the seams and doing double rows to high light the flipped section and central dark grey horizontally.  The husband liked the larger gaps you see but I think I should possibly have gone for denser quilting.   I also need to work on consistency with the spacing between rows.

img_20180810_162859_bokeh.jpg

The attention to detail I paid when pecicing has paid off as it was all pretty square so an improvement there.  While quilting a couple of the seams on the top started to come loose which is annoying but possibly down to trimming or maybe I need to lock the stitches at the end of each row.

img_20180805_100812.jpg

Press ganged my twin nieces into holding the quilt so I could photograph it! I think I’m going to have to make them quilts at some point soon based on there reaction! Only problem is I know there will want harry potter and not something timeless!

Best thing about quilting is the appreciation and praise I get! Especially from this one who has adopted this quilt pending completion of her own!

img_20180812_230342.jpg

 

…Playing with kids toys…

Uncategorized

I had a similar toy to this and loved playing with it and making the patterns which I think its why I bought it for my big girl.  Until now its not been a huge interest for her but she dug it out the cupboard and I couldn’t resist having a play with it too.

img_20180808_215823-collage

There are some lovely EPP patterns here but I am slightly struggling to get past the primary colours.  Also to make something of a decent size would take me centuries at my current rate so thinking about speeding it up/ modifying the process of an impatient person like me.  They also all seem to make up a hexagon or triangle.  I enjoyed working out how to make more difficult shapes repeat.

 

… Throwback Thursday #4

Finished Makes, Throwback Thursday

img_20180809_1522042

Mug Rugs!!! I love them,  so much better than a boring coaster and they also soak up any spills or condensation.  These rainbow strips I got as samples from a long shut down website/ shop – Strawberry Fayre.  I had to do something with these strip how ever small. I was not precious so just sewed them together really quick (had to be a colour gradient) not even fussing about even rows and then grab batting, backing and bias binding from the stash of leftovers.  In total about an hour was spent on the two and it got me back into sewing and a mental break after the baby.

img_20180809_1521502.jpg

 

…Throwback Thursday #2…

Throwback Thursday

Couple of years ago I did an adult education stained glass course. Can’t remember if it was 6 or 8 weeks, but I did start and finish this panel.  I designed the template based on art deco rose (this is full size as you cut the glass on top of it) and each week did a bit.

It was so nice to spend a couple of hours out the house making when the hubby was out too and first daughter (second was still tbc) sleeping over at grandparents.  I would come home from work, eat and then go out.. it was like I had a life!!

img_20180720_083107

The soldered joints are looking very silver.  I remember at the time we were suppose to scrub the whole lot with a brush to finish which I think I did but maybe not enough!!! I should really research this and pluck up the guts to solder on some rings so I can hang it.

img_20180720_083100

Overall I am very proud of my efforts and original design.  When I have more time probably when both girls are at school I will dig the stuff out and do some more.. Something like a rainbow Tiffany lampshade.